Sunday, February 18, 2018

2018 Panama City Beach

Our friends Iris and Mike Zielinski and Linda and Bob Rafalski would be staying for the entire month of February. Would that Lady Adventurer and I could do the same. Alas. I have to save my vacation days for next year's long trip. Our consolation prize is to spend only three days in PCB, after a two-day drive down, and followed by a two-day trip back. It would have to do.

The fourteen to fifteen-hour drive is arduous when you're in a hurry. And when it's dark. And raining. But our plan was to get there fast so we could take it slow. (That's where we want to go, way down to PCB.)

We went to St. Andrews State Park, Historic St. Andrews (it's within Panama City), ate some good seafood and relaxed. But mostly, we spent time with our friends. Mike and Iris' friends Jerrol and Vicki also visited, and the eight of us had a lot of fun. Among the most memorable moments were Iris borrowing duct tape, and then the next thing we see is a mirror attached to a stick reaching over from the next door balcony. Of course we made faces at it. And then there was the towel incident. Debbie told me the towel I hung to dry on the balcony railing would fall. When she did see it appear to fly away, she immediately sent me downstairs by the pool to retrieve it. I looked up when I couldn't find it down there, only to see Iris holding it on her balcony. For some reason, everyone (except the towel retrieval person) found this hilarious.

Their place is called Beachside Resort, and the Rafalskis and Zielinskis got the monthly 'Snowbird' rate. Lady Adventurer and I stayed at a Fairfield Inn, because, I'm Gold for Life (with Marriott), you know. The Fairfield was fine, although not on a beach, whereas their place is built for the beach and the pool.





Beachside Resort is really neat. Our friends' rooms each had two bedrooms and a tiny kitchen: just what you need for a month. The pool is heated, so just bobbing the day away is an attractive option. We also walked the beach, because the beach must be walked. The lanais face the ocean and pool, and also afford great views of the sunsets. Spending a month here, in my opinion, is the best way to be a snowbird.

Lady Adventurer and I had a blast during this whirlwind trip. We will return.

No comments: